Saturday, April 11, 2009

Friends

So I have come to realize over the past 3-4 months that the people I have surrounded myself with are sort of miserable people. All of my friends are overweight, and most of them except for one, are miserable. They always have something negative to say about everything.

Why did I hang out with them? Mostly because I was 300 pounds, and didn't have the confidence to go anywhere by myself, and try to meet new people. I was just perfectly content with these unhappy people. Problem is, I'm not unhappy anymore! And so being around these people isn't fun anymore. Other thing is, they start to resent someone like me who is taking the initiative to change and do it drastically. Nothing about my life is the same as it was, and the people who were in that other life are not adjusting well to the changes.

My "best" friend, whom I haven't spoken to in over a month, is one of those people. She thinks that my running and racing is stupid and that I am wasting my time and money. Has she taken the initiative to get healthier? NO. And so, my changes in lifestyle are not meshing with hers and the way things used to be. Her way of getting back at me for making the changes that she can't/won't make for herself is to ridicule and poke fun at my new passion. And by ignoring my big days, like my first 1/2 marathon at Disney last month. She just didn't bother showing up. So the only people cheering me on were my husband(who thinks I'm mildly deranged) and my roommate.

My husband is bucking the system some because in the 10 years we've been together, things have pretty much always been the same. And so now, everything is changing. He understands it's for the better, but still complains about eating "light" ice cream, instead of the fully loaded kind. And he hates it when I point out that his portions are way too big. But, he's losing weight a little at a time, and embracing our new active lifestyle. He just got a car after riding the bus for 2 years, and will have a little more spare time to go to the gym with me, or run. And I think he's looking forward to that. He is my biggest fan, even though sometime he thinks I'm nuts.

And so, I realize the day before Easter, that I have no friends to invite over for Easter dinner, because I'm not cooking. And when the cook that everyone depends on for 300 calories/serving candied yams isn't cooking candied yams, nobody seems that interested in me.

It's time to make some new friends, who are positive and active and are interested in the same things as me. I'm thinking about joining a bowling league this summer, and starting my own knitting group.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on making a change for the better! With your mindset you will do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard when our friends don't see eye to eye on things with us. I had/have friends like that. They are friends for a season. NOthing tragic or mean has to happen to change their status in our life but sometimes we move in different directions.

    Sometimes we need people around that will not only cheer us on but run along with us.

    Hugs from Seabrook.

    ReplyDelete