Sunday, September 13, 2009

Injuring and injury

I started running at 290#. And I managed to make it almost a year without an injury. I thought, "Gee, I must really be doing something right to be so fat and not get injured." It's amazing to me that with all the miles I run every week, and how I abuse my body, that an injury can occur in the oddest of circumstances.

Up until 16 days ago, I had been chugging away at my weekly workout schedule. Grueling long runs, cross training, and eating were my life. Then, enter the community service.....
I went to try to finish some hours, and got put to work reorganizing their walk in cooler. So, I bent over for 4 hours sorting through boxes of rotten fruit, tossing the bad, managing the good. I told myself all along the way that I was doing this for a good cause and that they needed my help, and that if someone didn't go through the rotten fruit, it would all go to waste. (I still don't think I'm ready to eat zucchini yet after knowing what one looks like when it's turned to liquid)

Then, enter the lower hamstring strain. All running stopped. All emotional eating started. Nearly two weeks later with no running, and I'm at my wits end with this injury. The problem is, now that I'm ready to start running again this week, I find that I'm only further injuring my quest by my destructive, self sabotaging behaviors. I will take me another month to work off what I've eaten on while down with this strain.

I've made it almost 1 year on WW, and for the longest time, I was religious. I don't know why I'm no longer religious. I take a great deal from the meetings, but not having a car has made it hard to get to them. I know that's part of this. And, I just haven't had time to plan and cook properly.

My life is only going to get more hectic, and somehow I have to manage all this. I'm just not sure how. My mom says to take like one day at a time. But, I find that if I do that, I end up with more injuries. Apparently, I've come to that place in my life where I have to sit down and schedule out every minute of my days in order to make it all work.

What's funny to me is that sooooo many people tell me that all the miles I'm running is insane. The irony is that my running keeps me sane, and I've realized now that not running leads me back to insanity. I don't really care what I have to do to save myself, but I'm jumping ship, and rowing back to the wagon.

3 comments:

  1. I posted about balance today on my blog. Finding balance. I do think there is a part that you can take one day at a time, but another part that needs some planning and focus. Finding the balance is key in my opinion. I'm not there.

    I have so much in my life....it can be rather hectic and crazy. I totally get that!

    I would love to focus on training for an event, but had to be very real to myself...I can't right now because I don't have enough time to do so. I wrote about it in my blog.

    I think you will work it all out! And I'll see ya on the wagon...that's where I am back to again too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all have set backs. The important thing is to slowly ease back into things so you dont injure yourself again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great Rebekah. I know right now it doesn't feel like it but think about all that time you were gaining weight to get to 290 and probably did little about it. But your eyes have been open, you have lost weight, you have a great work out ethic and are concious of any bad habits that may be sneaking back into your life. Being aware is more than half the battle because denial can destroy. Hang in their chica, your journey is not over and you are on the right track.

    ReplyDelete