Friday, June 5, 2009

You're what?

You're training for a marathon? What? How many miles is that? I'm so tired of people asking me if I'm sure I want to do this. It's mostly like people look at me like I'm retarded. Yes, I weigh 240, but I could probably run longer than you. It frustrates me that most people I encounter associate being overweight with being weak. That's just not the case. Even though I'm still pretty hefty, I'm built like a brick house, except for having a big belly. My legs are like tree trunks, and my arms are turning out to be pretty solid.

So, the decision to train for a full marathon, after only completing 2 halfs is the craziest decision I've ever made. Just past the decision to start running. But, it's a huge commitment, and I find myself having little support past my mom and my husband. Even my brother who is marathoner thinks I'm nuts. The thing is, I thought I would have been farther in my life than I am. I wanted to have kids by now and my master's degree. I have neither of those, and so this marathon is about having a major accomplishment to my name. Not that losing all this weight isn't an accomplishment, but I like the medals I guess.....

So this week I started what will be a 30 week program, of running my ass 4 days a week and generally living in a state of exhaustion. I love running and I wouldn't be doing this if I didn't. My mom and I are going to figure a food plan so that I'm getting enough carbs and protein in my diet. Which is where it gets hairy with the Weight Watchers thing, since they don't really cater much to athletes.

It's really hard for me to believe I'm doing this, and it's very emotional. I know I can do this, and I can't wait to do this. I'm sure the road is going to be long and hard, and I'm going to be in a lot of pain at some points, but when the time comes, the race will be worth the journey. I'm so excited.

3 comments:

  1. Rebekah - I'm looking forward to reading about your training...the good and the bad. Please know that you have LOTS of support beyond your hubby and you mom...you have many new friends on the heavyweight WW thread and those who read here. I'm proud of your accomplishments so far...you are working for a healthier you...which will prepare you for motherhood and many years of happiness ahead. I don't think you are crazy for training for a marathon....you are going to do awesome!! You are such an inspiration...please know that....Kris aka kevnick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah..When I read you wanted to train for a Marathon, I was not surprised. It just seems natural, in my eyes, that you will succeed at this. You have soo many people out here in the internet world that believe in you and your ability to do this. You can do this. Don't worry about what anyone says. They obviously don't know you and all that you have already accomplished.

    All your WW buddies are behind you. We want to know all the details. We can't wait!! Rozette aka Scrapjunkie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah, I think you are an inspiration and can definitely do it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete