Friday, August 7, 2009

Training

I've been running now for about 10 months. Well, what I consider running, anyway. I have muscles popping out in places I haven't muscles in years, and I'm starting to feel more solid. I did my last 1/2 marathon in May, and felt good and confident about it when the time came. And, over the summer, I've pushed myself to run more, more often, lift weights harder, work my abs everyday, and cross train a lot. And, I thought I was doing ok. I mean, for someone who is still over 230#, I feel like I'm pretty fit, so to speak.

Then, came the training program. I asked my brother several weeks ago to help coach me to my next goal, to run the Disney full marathon in January. He's done tons of marathons, and trained not only his wife to brilliant success, but trained my stepdad to finish his first(and last) full marathon at the age of 57. Plus, my brother is freakishly fast as a marathoner. He agreed, and set to work writing a program that would work for me.

Last week was week 1. I did everything I was supposed to do, including the 120 minute long run on Sunday, during which I ran 8.5 miles. I've never "Run" the whole thing. I've always done the run/walk interval thing. I've never run that many miles! And while I thought I was dying, I finished it. And, instead of collapsing for the rest of the day like I used to do after my long runs, I actually went out and did stuff. I made a trip to Old Navy and to the pool.

Of course, I had this great sense of fitness and achievement after week 1, only to look back at my training sheet and see there's still 23 weeks to go!

This is almost the end of week 2, and I've decided to post a weekly blog about my quest for the full marathon as a heavyweight. My brother doesn't know anyone who is my size and runs like I do. It's my goal to bring his world and the world of others who are ignorant to a fatty's plight out of ignorance and into some sort of light about how strong a fat girl can be.

This is the hardest thing I've ever done. I know I've lost my mind, but I don't care. I'm going to do this. I don't care about how much weight I lose in the process. I care about finishing what I've started. It's only going to get harder from here, but I'm up for the challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I think blogging about the training will be great! You can do it. I look forward to reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, look forward to hearing all about your journey and hope one day to be able to have your endurance on the road....

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not crazy...and you show them skinny minis that we fluffies can run too. Show them what you are made of...say it loud and clear!!!

    ReplyDelete