Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Week 3 DONE.

Sunday I finished Week 3 of my 24 week marathon training program.

What's interesting about this program, is that my brother designed it just for me, knowing my current fitness level, weight, goals, etc.... So, the thought is that it would start off like many of the other novice programs I've scouted, with lots of base mileage and not too many really, really hard days. NOT SO. My brother is a perfectionist, and by nature of being a near elite amateur runner, a little bit psycho. And so, of course I asked him to coach me.

Week 3, day 1. 65 minutes of cross training wasn't so bad. My legs were a little tired from my long run the day before, but otherwise in good shape. My goals with XT are to build endurance by working at a heart rate that is still in my "high" intensity zone for maximum fat burn, but also below 150, so that it's aerobic efficient. So, i keep my HR between 140-150 for this extended period of time doing something besides running.
Week 3, day2. 40 minute run, weight, and abs. I love Tuesday. It's just a 3 miler and some other stuff. I've decided that watching trash TV keeps me entertained and focused.
Week 3, day 3. 65 minute run. This mid week mid distance run gets longer every week. It went without a hitch.
Week 3 day 4. 65 minutes of XT and abs.
Week 3, day 5. Another 40 minute run, weights, and abs. I especially love Fridays because I know the nex day is Saturday and I don't have to do anything!
Week 3, day 6. DOR. Went to the farmer's market with hubby and a friend. Went to teach, and then went to the pool to practice being a vegetable.
Week3, day 7. The LONG RUN day. I dreaded this day since I saw it on my schedule. A 150 minute workout. HOLY SHIT! That's 2 1/2 hours. Not only on a treadmill, but just in general, 2 1/2 hours. It takes me 3 to do a 1/2 marathon! I made the decision to run all those miles because I want to run a 1/2 marathon in September, and run every single mile. So, I gotta start somewhere.

I hit the treadmill with my Gu's in hand, and my trusty water bottle, headband, earphones, and iPod. I started at 4.2 MPH, which is super slow, but needed. My first set of 90 minutes yielded 6.25 miles. I took a break, went to address some chaffing issues, and came back to the Tm for another hour. This time, I sped up to 4.3 for 2 miles, and then 4.4 for the last 2.25 miles. Aside from just being tired, I wasn't hurting like I thought I'd be. My PF didn't bother me either, which is a miracle in itself. I realized that the key to my endurance success is to slow down and save my guts and glory for the end when I'm going to need it more.

Thinking back to the last 1/2 marathon I did in May, I could barely function for 2 days afterwards. I know I'm much fitter and in the best shape of my life because I ran 10.56 miles on Sunday, and then went to the pool, shopping, and then to dinner with friends! Sunday I proved something huge to myself. I can do this, and I'm going to. Ppl look at me weird when I say I'm training for a marathon because they assume someone my size can't do that. But, they have no idea what I can do.

3 down, 21 to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment