Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The resposible and right thing to do.

Every two years, my parents rent a HUGE beach house in Myrtle Beach, and invite my sigblings and offspring to come ! I wildly anticipate this week every two years, and am super excited that it's next week.......finally! the problem? I'm self employed, and if I don't work, I don't make make money. I'm the only person I know who is too broke to go on a FREE vacation! I mean, Hell's bells, my mom is even paying for my plane fare and everything while I'm there! But, since the split, I'm on my own financially, and that means I can only depend on me to bring in the cash.

So, last night, I made the decision to go and only spend 4 days at the beach with my family, instead of the whole 8 days. Making this decision was so hard because I never get to spend time with my mom and siblings without the added pressure of other family visiting. But, I didn't want to spend my whole vacation stessing about money, and being broke when I got back. I feel pretty good about my decision to leave halfway through the week because I can come back next week and still get most of my teaching done, so I won't lose much money.

The funniest part about the whole thing is, when I called my mom to talk about it, she hung up and said she was ok with it. But then she called me back to specifically tell how proud she was of me for making a decision that was the right and responsible thing to do. I guess that's just another example of how much I've changed. But it also goes to show how bad the decisions I used to make were, if I actually do something responsible and it catches my mom off guard.

Anyway, I'm super excited to go to the beach for as long as I'm there! I'm nearly 90# lighter than I was last time 2 years ago, and looking pretty amazing. I actually pulled out a pic from last vacation, and that girl doesn't even look like me.

It's so hard to make responsible decisions, but in the end, they're the right thing to do. And, surprisingly I'm under so much less now than I was 2 days ago. I guess doing the right and responsible thing really isn't such a bad thing.

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah - good for you for knowing what you need to do to survive. You have found that the only person in this world you can truly count on is yourself!! Have fun at the beach...you deserve to have a wonderful vacation. Wish I was going to be there at the same time...we are going to be there for the first two weeks of August (leaving in 44 days...but who's counting?). Flaunt that beautiful body of yours and try not to break too many hearts!!

    ReplyDelete