Monday, August 16, 2010

Good days and bad days

When I started this training plan set forth by my brother, it looked hard. I mean, really hard. It's more miles than I've ever run, with more intense workouts than I've ever done. But I thought, why not? I'm in the best shape of my life and I feel great. Then came August in the great state of Florida. The temps have been near 100* everyday with humidity just as high. And to a runner who isn't so keen on getting up at 5am, it sucks the soul right out of me.

So yesterday was my weekly long run, and naturally Saturday night I didn't get in bed early like I was supposed to, I stayed at Eric's house kinda late and then came home. But I was energized, so I put away my laundry and picked up some around my house. And before I knew it, it was after midnight. This didn't bode so well for a 5am long run, which ultimately turned into a 10am long run. The problem? Staying in bed meant I had to do my Long run on the treadmill at the gym. BLEH!

Obediently, I headed to the gym on my bike, gel bloks and water bottle in hand. Lucky for me, there was good tv on, so I didn't get too bored, and the miles started to click by. The treadmill is so deceiving, and that's why I hate it. Not to mention the fact that it effs up my stride so that by the time I was done my calves and hamstrings were so tight I could barely walk. It gives me a false sense of speed. Granted, I did my 12 miles at 11:15/mile pace, which is rockin, but on the road, that's not my pace. I'd love it to be my pace, but it's not. Actual human propulsion is what makes the legs go on the road, not the belt under me. Anyway, it was a great run, except that my heart rate monitor chest strap died. Then I went to work and then bowling. Needless to say, yesterday was a long day.

Today's run, not so great. I got up thinking I'll go out for 4-5 miles for some recovery. Little did I know that between the weather being miserably hot/humid, my iPhone/iPod screwing up, and my legs being tired that whatever miles I did get today would be hard won. So, today I will chalk up to a bad run. 4 miles is 4 miles, nonetheless, but they sucked. And I think the battery in my Garmin HRM strap is dying. WTF. At least I got my miles today. I had runs like this(well maybe not this bad) last week, and I'll have them next week. Until the weather cools down some, my miles are gonna be tough to get every week, and I guess I can't expect every single run to be great, but I can hope right?

No comments:

Post a Comment