Friday, July 9, 2010

Focus, or total lack thereof.

As I'm reading about everyone picking races for the Fall months, and getting started on new training plans, it's coming into sharp focus that I'm not focused at all. My brother handed me a new training plan on vacation that is ambitious and greuling at best, but will have me in amazing shape and able to run a 5:00:00 marathon by December. The problem? I thought it started July 5th, but we miscalculated the weeks, and it doesn't start until July 17th. So this leaves me with another week and a half to wander around doing as I please, which is never a good thing.

Aside from that, being on my own is hard stuff. The summer months are the hardest for my business because a lot of students tend to take off the summer from private piano/voice lessons. So, I'm struggling with money when i'm used to having another person's income to help me. That stuff weighs on me heavily, and it's so easy for me to turn back to my immense and overwhelming love of sugar to get me through. I think I'm gonna have to go back off sugar completely in order to get my brain right because if really does mess with my moods and such.

On the up side, my YMCA is hiring a front desk person for part time, and they basically told me I have the job, since I practically live there anyway. Who else is better to sell memberships than one of their most devoted and grateful members? Nobody. So, that will help some. Plus, If I'm in a healthy environment instead of sitting at home, I'll be more likely to eat better and be more motivated to workout. Is that logic flawed? I think not.

With all that said, I'm gonna try harder this next week to get out of bed and go running or at least hit the bike. I've recently discovered spinning and I love it so much! So, that may be what gets me through the summer months here in Florida. And, although today's run was hot, the humidity wasn't too awful, so if I just suck it up, I'll get my miles in every week.

I really, really want to run that marathon on my birthday, so I'll do what I have to do to get my body in shape for the race requirements. It scares me to death to think about paying all that money for the race and to get to Vegas and not be able to finish in the max time. But I just think back to last year when finishing in 6:00:00 was the goal, to now thinking about 5:00:00, and I know I'll do it. I just need to get focused.

2 comments:

  1. That job at the Y sounds awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree...the job at the Y is a great fit for you. You already know that it won't last forever, but you are a stong, independent woman who knows what she needs to do to survive. I'm really excited to follow you as you train for your marathon. My goal is to run one next year - alot of people in my life, including DH, look at me like I'm crazy...but that just feeds my desire to do it. I know you are going to rock yours!! I'm the same way with my running if I don't have a specific race to train for. It's funny how a piece of paper can keep me so disciplined!

    ReplyDelete