Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A personal triumph

Today was day 2 of Operation Las Vegas.

I got up feeling pretty tired. I checked the weather at 7:45 am, and the humidity was 92% and the heat index was aready 86*, which meant there was no way I was getting a quality run in. Today's scheduled mileage was 5, so I opted to ride my bike to the gym, and hit the treadmill. Great decision!

I believe the key for me running distance on the treadmill is to read. I used to watch tv, but that just doesn't let my mind wander. Plus, the angle forces me to arch my back and messes up my breathing. So, I read Runner's World that I'm 2 months behind on. Before I knew it, 3 miles clicked by and I upped my speed a little. By mile 4, I felt awesome, and kicked up the speed again. I finished 5 miles in 54:45, which is a triumph for me! That's a sign of how fit I really am. And I must say, to still be 200#, I'm freaking fit!

I'm also ending day 4 of being sugar free. I think I'm through the worst of the cravings, so hopefully I should do pretty well with this. Although, the new fella is bringing me a beignet back from New Orleans, and it's a fried sugary thing that may ruin me. But, I'm tracking and saving my points for it. A girl deserves a treat from time to time.

Tomorrow is a new day and a spin class!!! Yay!!

3 comments:

  1. OK...I've never tried to read while running before - I think I'd be moving around too much...but it's something I will need to try. The TVs at my gym are too far away to try to watch and boredom sets in so quickly...hmmm...need to pick up a magazine so I have one the next time I go...

    WTG on the sugar...everytime I pick something up that may contain sugar, I think of you...and have actually made another choice a few times :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! I'm proud of you for making a better choice! Sugar is sssoooo hard to let go of for me, but I'm feeling so good! And, who needs the extra calories to run off anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea about reading. I get a crick in my neck when I try to watch TV. If you get carsick from reading while in the car, do you get carsick when running...hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete